The Small Business Environmental Assistance Program/Small Business Ombudsman (SBEAP/SBO) National Steering Committee (NSC) Awards are the States’ premier awards program for recognizing outstanding environmental leadership among small businesses and small business assistance providers.
These awards recognize small businesses, SBEAP/SBO programs and individuals, trade associations and other business assistance providers who have made significant contributions to protecting the environment. The awards program is sponsored by the SBEAP/SBO NSC in partnership with U.S. EPA Asbestos and Small Business Office.
2021 Award Nominations: Award nominations opened on January 15 and closed March 1, 2021. Awards will be presented in concert with a virtual SBEAP/SBO training event currently in the planning stages.
Each year nominations are accepted in the following categories:
- Small Business Environmental Assistance Program Excellence – for leadership with NSC, its subcommittees, and activities that support other SBEAP/SBO.
- Small Business Environmental Stewardship – for working with SBEAP/SBO for assistance in compliance and efforts beyond compliance to improve the environment and sharing with other businesses.
- Business Assistance Provider Environmental Leadership – for an organization or individual partnering with SBEAP/SBO to help members and other businesses with compliance and broader sustainability efforts (i.e., sustainability, LEAN/process efficiencies, alternative materials, pollution reductions, energy/water efficiency, LEED/green building, etc.).
- Karen V. Brown Leadership – for long-term achievements in support of NSC, its subcommittees, and with partners in collaborative efforts to improve assistance resources for small businesses.
- Nominations open: January 15, 2021
- Nominations close: March 1, 2021
- Awards announced: During the National SBEAP/SBO Training in June.
Eligibility: Nominations will be accepted from individuals, organizations, institutions or businesses. Award recipients from the previous year are ineligible for awards and cannot self-nominate for their category this year, though 2020 nominees that were not selected for an award may resubmit their nomination.
You may nominate yourself as well as any individual, institution, or organization that you believe is worthy of recognition. In addition, all applicants must:
- Be located in the United States and territories;
- Be active within the past year, and;
- Agree to have their environmental performance shared with others through a written description to appear in the awards program, press materials and on the National SBEAP website.